New version coming shortly for preview see
The Indoor Vegetable Garden - Large.
Click here > to Watch the Video on YouTube
An Indoor Herb Garden based on a modular, highly flexible LED Plant stand. (Patent Pending)
How the System Works
The system consists of a series of from 1 to 3 clear Perspex stands that mount on top of one another to a maximum height of 1.8m/5.9ft, it has a rectangular configuration 45 x 30cm/17.7x11.8”, you can mount one growing tray per shelf long ways or 2 growing trays per shelf, crossways. Each shelf supports the LED grow lights for the plants on the shelf below.
The growing trays can be used to grow short-term Micro-Greens or they can be used as a reservoir for a range of pots to grow longer term salad greens such as Rocket, Lettuce, Marjoram, Basil, Parsley or even Tomatoes etc
The lights come in sets of low-power 36W modules, either 4 x 30cm/11.8” long 9Watt (can only be used crossways, a maximum of 8 per shelf), or 2 x 60cm/23.6” long 18Watt (can be used both ways, maximum of 8 crossways and 4 long ways).
The 30cm/11.8” and 60cm/23.6” lights come in 2 flavours used for 2 different types of plants, a Blue dominant white light is used for growing plants that you eat the leaves from, designed specifically to get optimum results and extend the growing season for leafy greens and a Red dominant light for growing plants that produce fruit or flower e.g. Tomato.
The trays, which form the bridge between one side of the shelf & the other, can be used in one of 2 ways.
1. Trays used to grow Micro-greens - this is where you grow seeds to an early stage and then harvest them e.g. Broccoli, Radish, Cress, Buckwheat, Snow Pea, Wheatgrass etc growing under LED lights (the yellow strips seen in the picture) these are ready to eat in from 1 to 3 weeks. As you can see from the pictures and diagrams above, a large amount of greens can be grown this way. We use a fine textured coconut fibre mixed with Azomite and Dolomite as the growing medium, we add a mix of liquid seaweed and magnesium chloride, all organic substances. We also supply a clear Perspex germination cover, to further simplify the growing process.
2. Trays used as a common reservoir for pots - we supply a square pot, 3 will fit in the rectangular trays. You also have the option of choosing a larger round tray if you would like to place it on the floor inside the base stand, providing a similar function to the rectangular trays, but more individual for each of the two pots.
There are 2 basic configurations which you start with.
1. Base stand number 1:- consists of the base stand plus 4 x 30cm/11.8” long 9Watt low-power LED growlights, choose the colour of the lights depending on what plant you want to grow. This configuration is ideal for growing plants that will be contained inside the rectangle of the growing frame e.g. Basil, Tomato, larger potted plants.
2. Base stand number 2:- consists of the base stand plus 2 x 60cm/23.6” long 18Watt low-power LED growlights, choose the colour of the lights depending on what plant you want to grow. This configuration is ideal for growing the Micro-Greens sprouts (Snowpea, Radish, Mustard, Buckwheat, Broccoli etc) which take up the entire length of the tray i.e. 475mm, also a better solution for growing smaller salad greens such as lettuce and rocket which do not grow very high and you can fit into smaller pots and get 4 pots per tray.
i.e. you purchase the base stand that you require and then add extra lights, or stands as you require. You can expand this system up to a maximum of 9 double shelves ie 18 trays under lights, with extra trays, lights, power supplies.
- Plant training, when growing herbs in your Indoor Veg. Garden, it is important that you make the best use of the growing area available, one important method is to keep your plants constrained within the desired growing area so that they make the best use of the light available. The IVG comes with plant clips and numerous slots and holes for connecting them along with string to perform this function. See picture- Plant Training IVG-L.jpg
- Pest Control,
- Flexible Light Placement,
- There are also optional reflector panels which further increase the efficiency of the system.
- The lights can be fitted with a combination of 50 & 90° lenses, not necessary for the Micro-Greens but can be advantageous where greater intensities are required for larger plants where you want the light to penetrate to the lower levels of the plant as well, you can optionally mount extra lights vertically to further increase the light coverage.
- Each tray can be clicked in for added stability if required.
- There are special slots and holes in the verticals and horizontals to attach string to, if you would like to train plants to go around the edges, further maximising the growing space.