The Indoor Vegetable Garden - Series 1
Click here > to Watch the Video on YouTube coming soon
An Indoor Herb Garden based on a modular, highly flexible Plant stand. (Patent Pending)
Used next to a sunny window or with low-power LED grow-lights.
So What Can I Grow?
Well anything that will fit into the space i.e. (2 pot plants or 2 trays of micro-greens sprouts per shelf this stand is 20 cm deep by 44 cm wide and up to 1.8 m tall) e.g.
- Vertical Sprouts (Snow pea, Radish, Mustard, Broccoli, Buckwheat, Wheatgrass etc). – Optional lights (1x 30cm 3cmW) LED light per shelf (blue dominant white).
- Green leaf Herbs (Basil, Mint, Lettuce, Marjoram, Spring Onions etc) – Optional lights mounted horizontally above the plant (30cm 3cmW) or vertically in front of the plant(60 or 30cm 3cmW), LED lights (blue dominant white).
- Fruiting Plants (Tomato, Peppers, Zucchini, Cucumber etc) – Optional lights mounted horizontally above the plant (30cm 3cmW) or vertically in front of the plant(60 or 30cm 3cmW), LED lights (red dominant).
The Base Kits.
We have put together a series of Base Kits from which you can develop a system that suits your purpose. To expand any base kit with extra pots, fertiliser, LED grow-lights, extra shelf, stands etc, then see the add-on category. IVG-S1-Stand-Add-ons
Different plants require different levels of light so you may wish to start with a stand and see how your plants go if you require more light than you can add the LED grow-lights at a later stage. The light bulb symbol indicates the base kit comes with LED grow-lights the sun symbol indicates that this system does not come with grow-lights.
Base Kit 1 - is a single stand high and is basically designed to grow 2 pot plants per shelf. Kit 1a is just the basic stand Kit 1b is the same stand but with the addition of 4 pots and trays, potting mix and fertiliser, Kit 1c is 2 pots and trays, potting mix and fertiliser + 2 grow-lights, if the plant is likely to spread out e.g. a mint plant, then you would only use one pot per shelf when using the lights.
Base Kit 2 - is a single stand high and is basically designed to grow 2 trays of micro-greens sprouts per shelf. Kit 2a is just the basic stand i.e. you might have already purchased a micro-green sprouting kit, Kit 2b is the same stand but with the addition of the micro-green sprouting kit plus an additional 2 trays for the top shelf, Kit 2c has the micro-green sprouting kit + 2 grow-lights.
Base Kit 3 - is designed to cater for taller plants e.g. a tomato plant, the kits are configured with a special bracket that allows you to connect reflector panels and vertical lights. Kit 3a is one stand tall and 2 reflector panels, which can extend above the top height of the stand allowing you to reflect any available sunlight back onto the plant, it can be mounted in a fixed position or a swivel position. Kit 3b is 2 stands tall and comes with pot, tray, potting mix, fertiliser + 4 grow-lights. With this configuration you would start with the 4 lights mounted horizontally above the plant, once it reached a certain height you would move to 2 of the lights and place them vertically in front of the plant.
LED grow-lights:- there are 2 different types of lights that work with this system, (one tailored for leaf growth, blue dominant and one for fruiting and flowering, red dominant), they both come in 2 different lengths 30cm and 60cm long. The most common light chosen for this particular stand is generally the 30 cm light as it is mounted horizontally i.e. above the plants, it can also be mounted vertically, the 60cm light is only mounted vertically.
Energy costs:- e.g. To grow 1 to 2 green herbs per stand, this would require 1 set of 2 Blue dominant White bar lights ie less then 20 watts of power left on for 8hrs per day gives 1.12kWh/week at $0.18/kWh = $0.21/wk. 2012($0.18/kWh).
Light attachment:- when the lights are attached horizontally underneath one of the shelves, they can be attached close in a fixed position, this is useful when you are doing the Micro-Greens, or they can be attached to a vertical arm which allows you to move the lights up and down, i.e. raising the lights up as the plant grows. The arm holding the lights can also be rotated which gives you further flexibility to optimally light your plants, there is also the option of a small reflector panel being mounted next to the light on this bracket.
There are also attachments for mounting the lights vertically on the sides.
Some common features of the IVG range of indoor growing systems:-
- The stands are made of crystal clear acrylic, 98% transparency, it is as if the plants are standing in mid-air and the sense of space remains, unlike a solid object which visually takes up much more space.
- The stands are held together using stainless steel fixtures.
- Lights and cabling are waterproof and are powered from a remote power supply.
- LED lights are rated to last 50,000 to 100,000 hours, if we take a more conservative estimate of 30,000 hours for them to maintain greater than 80% intensity, this would be 10 years at 8 hours a day, meaning this is a quality investment which will not only beautify your living space, but add many health benefits for you and your family for a many years to come.