This is the Base Stand 3 for the Indoor Vegetable Garden– Series 2.
This is a 60 or 48cm tall stand, single or double tray width, made of clear Perspex. Next to a sunny window it can grow 3 trays of micro-greens or 6 pots of herbs. It can be fitted with LED 60/30cm bar lights, you can add up to 2 stands on top of it giving you a total growing height of 2m.
To use this configuration to grow micro-greens just choose one of our vertical sprouting systems we suggest the 475mm rectangular tray system is the best choice ( Sprouting-in-475mm-Rectangular-Trays or Sprouting-in-575mm-Rectangular-Trays ).
If you would like to upgrade in the future for instance with some LED grow-lights then you would select the type of bracket you need ie for the 3cm wide LED bar lights or the 11cm wide lights, and then the number of lights that you require, please see the add-on category ( IVG-S2-Stand-Add-ons ).
· The system is totally modular, meaning you can start from any of the base kits and by adding extra parts change it into just about any configuration you can imagine.
· You can attach reflective panels in various positions; these can be used to reflect the light back onto the plant either from a sunny window or from LED lights which can be mounted vertically and horizontally.
· The horizontal shelf that supports the lights can hold up to 4/8x (3cmW Bar lights) or 1/2x (11cmW Bar light), they can also be used to suspend up to 4x (3cmW Bar lights) vertically facing back in towards the plants.
· The height of the stand can be either 48 cm or 60 cm tall, the 48 cm measurement is so it will fit on the kitchen bench top with cupboards above which are generally 54 cm above the bench top.
· You have the choice of 2 different shelf widths, single refers to one rectangular tray and double refers to 2 rectangular trays however the double can also be used for a new square tray which is much deeper and therefore can store more water if you have a plant that is very thirsty, or you would like the security of knowing that you need to water less frequently.
· It is designed to be a balanced system, therefore it needs to be mounted on a hard flat surface, if you would like to mount it on carpet, then you will need the carpet plate set (see the add-on section) or you will need a piece of flat board to set the stand on - 30cm x 33cm if you want single shelfs for sprouts on one side then 30cm x 50cm, or on both sides 30cm x 70cm.
· The kit comes with stainless steel fixtures and a securing tool.
Pic.1- the top part of this picture shows you what is contained in the Base Kit 1, the other pictures shows you how it can be used without lights next to a sunny window growing 3 trays of micro-green sprouts or 6 pots of herbs, the other 2 pictures shows it being used to grow 2 trays of micro-greens and 3 pots of herbs under lights.
bottom of the picture with the lights and plants shows you how you can use it in 2 possible ways, the 1st one is where you choose 2x 3cm wide bar lights are used on the one shelf to grow 3 pots of herbs.
Pic.2 – shows how the system can be expanded, 3 stands, 2x closed & one open on the top, which is being used to grow micro-green sprouts, but it could also be used for another 3 pots of herbs as the weight is on the box section below. So you would start with Base Kit No.3 + 1x Extra Stand No.3 + 1x Extra Stand No.1 + 2x single sided shelfs.
Pic.3 – shows where the stand in picture to has 4 open shells added to the outside of the 2 lower stands i.e. with herbs in the closed section at the rear & micro-green sprouts on open shelfs at the font, Pic.5 is the same stand with some of the micro-green sprouts trays removed so you can see the herbs at the rear more clearly. So you would start with Base Kit No.3 + 1x Extra Stand No .3 + 1x Extra Stand No.1 + 1x single sided base + 6x single sided shelfs (2 to the top and 4 from the front).
Pic.4 – shows how the system can be expanded, 3 stands, 3x closed in this case growing herbs & 6x open Shelfs on the sides, which are being used to grow micro-green sprouts. So you would start with Base Kit No.3 + 2x Extra Stand No.3 + 1x single sided base + 5x single sided shelfs.
Pic.6 – shows how the system can be expanded, starting with Base Kit No.3 with a double shelf + 1x Extra Stand No.3 with a double shelf on top this is using the deeper square tray holding for pots of rocket (all the black pots are using the capillary mat system). On both sides of this core system are single sided Shelfs at the base on the left we have 2 trays of MicroGreens above that we have 2 pot of herbs. On the right-hand side we have a chilly plant which is growing under a red dominant light hence the pink glow.
Pic.7 – shows how the system can be expanded, starting with Base Kit No.3 + 2x Extra Stand No.3.
Pic.8- shows the different types of lights that can be used with this stand. Note these lights do not use a fan, therefore no noise. There are 3 types of lights which all have the option of being Blue dominant White, tailored for growing leafy greens and micro-green sprouts, and a Red dominant tailored for growing flower and fruit e.g. Tomato, Strawberries etc. Note:- the blue dominant White light gives a lovely ambience to the room i.e. it's nice to look at and most plants will still flower and fruit under this light however heavy fruiting crops e.g. tomato would definitely grow better under the red dominant light. The top picture shows 2x 30cm Long 3cm Wide bar lights each light is 9x 1W LEDs. The middle picture shows 2x 60cm Long 3cm Wide bar lights each light is 18x 1W LEDs. The bottom picture shows 1x 60cm Long 11cm Wide bar lights each light is 27x 3W LEDs (equivalent of 3 groups of 15x 1W LEDs).
The advantage of the thinner 3cm wide bar lights is that they can be used singularly to grow micro-greens or in a group of 2 or 4 to grow herbs, they can also be attached vertically which is very useful when you're growing tall plants that require extra light at the lower levels.
The advantage of the wider 11cm wide bar lights is that the LEDs are grouped into 2 or 3 circles and come with extra lenses which creates greater intensity for the 3 pots of herbs below. You can also add lenses to the 3cm bar lights, but it adds to the expense, but the option is there if you choose.